December 2, 2011

Cabbage curry

Cabbage curry is one of the curries that most of the people hate for its bland taste. This also tends to get mushy if too much of water is added while cooking. I am sure most of us used to ponder on how the restaurants are always able to make this dish with a great texture - light & fluffy. But, once you learn the trick, this is an easiest side to be prepared in less time & also, will win your family 's heart. My hubby used to not like this curry very much. But, after I have learned to cook it in the right way, he now looks forward to this dish these days.



Cutting vegetables is also an art. Right from my school days, the one best help I do in the kitchen for my mom is to cut vegetables. She loves the way I cut vegetables. I can proudly boast that I can cut vegetables with such a precision & ease that it will look as if the vegetables came out of a readymade chopper/cutter. Looking at the way I cut cabbage, I remember one of my in-laws praising "cabbage & shredded coconut looks alike in the curry".

Ingredients
  • Shredded cabbage - 2-3 cups
  • Salt - to taste
  • Peas - a handful
  • Shredded coconut - a handful
Tempering
  • Oil - little
  • Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
  • Split Urid dal - 1 teaspoon
  • Hing - couple of pinches
  • Red chillies - 2 nos
Method
Make sure to drain the water completely out of cabbage after washing. Take a pan, and add cabbage & peas to it. Always keep the stove on medium heat while preparing this dish. Sprinkle little water and let the cabbage cook. After checking that the water is completely absorbed by cabbage, sprinkle little more water and cook. Repeat the process until cabbage is completely cooked. Add salt and saute it a bit. Then, add shredded coconut, and saute for couple more minutes. Remove from heat.



Heat oil, splutter mustard seeds & roast split urid dal to brown. To this, add red chillies & hing. Add this tempering to cooked cabbage curry and garnish with curry leaves. 



Events:
Linking this to "CWS - Peas" by Priya of Priya's Easy and Tasty recipes.

2 comments :

  1. Ore Kalakkal Taan... So many recipes Sasi! Way to go

    ReplyDelete
  2. gada gadnnu neraiyya recipes...enna samikardhunnu thali kodanjundu inge vandhaa..u r making it even more difficult.....want to cook everything as they look so delicious...greatgoing sasi....

    ReplyDelete