January 30, 2012

Cottage Cheese Chapathi

Here comes another healthier, softer & tastier version of chapathi made with cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is a by-product from milk that has a mild flavor and curd-like texture. Cottage cheese is rich in casein protein and is popular among dieters, body builders, weight lifters, pregnant ladies or anyone who is diet conscious.


I had gestational diabetes with both my kids and my dietician insisted in adding more protein to my diet. As I am a vegetarian, cottage cheese was one of her strongest recommendations. But, for some reasons I couldn't stand the taste of it. Being a vegetarian and having a very few protein options, I was desperate to somehow include cottage cheese (atleast!!!) to my diet but didn't know how. Only after years - a couple of days back I learnt it how - add it to the chapathi/paratha dough - simple!! Chapathi's came out to be very very soft and I thought it is the best recipe to disguise cottage cheese. How I wish I had known this recipe when I was pregnant!

Recently, I got to know that my daughter also hates to eat plain cottage cheese. But, I am not going to worry - I have a delicious recipe up my sleeve to make her eat cottage cheese ;)

Ingredients
Whole wheat flour - 2-3 cups (I used annapurna atta)
Cottage Cheese - 8 oz (as I am trying this recipe for the first time, I used only 4 oz)
Avocado - 2 nos (optional)
Green chillies - 3 nos (finely chopped)
Salt - To taste
Oil - 2 tbsp

Method
Mix cottage cheese, avocado, chopped chillies, salt & oil with whole wheat flour and knead it into a pliable dough. I did not add any water as the moisture from cottage cheese & avocado was enough to knead the dough. 

Take a small portion of the dough and make it into a ball. Using a rolling pin, roll the ball into a circle.



Heat a tawa / griddle and place the rolled chapathi. Cook both sides until done (brush little oil/ghee on both the sides).


Serve them hot with any side of your choice. I served it with tomatillo kootu.


5 comments :

  1. very innovative..looks so delicious..will try this soon..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks absolutely stunning and incredible..healthy chappathis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how many days can we store the dough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apart from hostels and campsites, a large number of visitors to the Morgan Hill in California usually opt for a holiday home. cottage for rent Morgan hill California

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing superb informations. I’m impressed by the details that you’ve on this site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for extra articles.Please visit my web site Crystalbeachontario.com. Best Crystal Beach Cottage service provider.

    ReplyDelete