September 9, 2013

Paasi Paruppu Payasam

While browsing, I stumbled upon a web-page that had few pictures which looked very similar to my kinda shots. A close second look at them and I realized that those pics were indeed mine. Yes, somebody had copied images & contents of about 8-10 recipes from my blog and posted them in theirs. No notification, No credits, No nothing! 

 
At that moment, I realized that I had to do something to secure my contents & images and prevent such cheap online thefts. I went through a lot of websites with blogging tips & tricks to avoid these kinds of issues. Watermarking images, Disabling select/copy/paste, disabling right-click on images, managing blog feeds are a few of them. I have all of these checks implemented in my blog and hoping to stay away from copyright infringements!

Though I am waiting to hear from the page owners who copied my work, I am trying to do my part right to avoid such issues in the future.

Now, coming to the recipe, moong dal, jaggery, coconut, milk - what 's not to like in this combo, especially if you have a sweet tooth like mine. I made this payasam for Vinayaga Chathurthi and we all loved it!

Basic Info
Complexity - Simple
Prep time - 5 mins
Cook time - 30 mins
Serves - about 2 cups

Ingredients
Moong dal (Paasi Paruppu) - 1/3 cup
Grated Jaggery - 1/3 cup (packed)
Water - 2 cups
Grated Coconut - 1/3 cup (fresh / frozen)
Milk - 1/2 cup
Cashews - 6 nos (broken)
Cardamom - 2 pods
Ghee - 2 tsp

Method
Boil 1/2 cup of milk and let it cool. Keep aside.

Heat a tsp of ghee in a small sauce-pan, fry cashews until golden brown. Keep aside.

In the same sauce-pan, add another tsp of ghee. When hot, add moong dal and fry until fragrant. Add 2 cups of water and let it cook on medium heat until moong dal is completely cooked & mashable. Stir in between so that the dal doesn't stick to the bottom of the vessel and get burnt.

Using a wooden spoon, mash 3/4th of the moong dal. To this, add grated jaggery and cook until the raw smell of the jaggery is gone.

Grind grated coconut with very little water into a smooth paste. As soon as jaggery is done, add the coconut paste and let it come to a boil. Remove from heat.

Add boiled milk, cardamom powder, cashews and give it a mix.

Paasi Paruppu Payasam is ready!