October 19, 2014

"Three layer" PB & Chocolate Fudge

"Peanut butter & Chocolate fudge" is a simple, minimal-ingredients, "no-bake" three layered fudge, that screams peanut butter & chocolate in every bite & every layer. Inspired by hundreds of peanut butter fudge recipes across the internet (Thanks to each & everyone of them), this recipe however is original, very new & intact. (PB fans would know!!)


It all started with a small bottle of creamy peanut butter patiently waiting in my pantry to be used. I forgot why I bought it but I sure don't have any "PB sandwich" fans at home. So, I decided to put it to good use with this PB & Choco fudge recipe. But when I started, quite frankly, I wasn't even sure how the recipe will turn out (or) if it will make it to my blog.

To start with, I used just a little of peanut butter (about 1/2 cup).... didn't want to go overboard with one-dimensional flavor. Special mention goes to those hundreds of recipes without which there's no way I would have known about the epic combo,  "PB & chocolate".


I hand-picked every ingredient of the recipe, and worked up layer after layer while trying to keep it simple & easy at the same time. Also, kept a tab on what must or mustn't go in the recipe. Looking at the end result, oh boy, I felt like a mad but "happy" scientist!!

I did not want any sugar in my recipe, instead I used dates & honey. Initially, I was contemplating on whether to use butter or coconut oil and I chose butter. Butter clearly is my personal choice, as I do not like the smell of coconut oil in my fudge unless it is coconut-based. If you don't have a problem with coconut oil, just do away with butter and replace it with coconut oil, sounds easy-peasy right?!


The bottom layer with biscuits and dates forms a thick & strong base for the fudge. The center layer is a chewy, nutty heaven of peanut butter with bits & bites of chocolate in between. The top layer is all about chocolate topped with crunchy peanuts. A small bite into this fudge sure will take you to PB & chocolate bliss.. Oh Heavens!!

While my home country is busy preparing for Diwali, my almost second-home is getting ready for the holiday season. With this simple recipe for "PB & chocolate Fudge", is there a better way to celebrate both the occasions?! This "kid-approved" recipe sure is a winner and a great give-away for family & friends!


Basic Info
Complexity - Medium
Prep time - 25 mins
Cook time - 20-30 mins (for chocolate to set)
Serves - 12 one inch fudges


Ingredients
Biscuit Layer
4 Mcvities digestives "The Original", or similar biscuit
7 pitted dry Dates
1/2 tbsp Honey
1/2 tbsp melted Butter

Peanut Butter layer
1/2 cup Peanut butter
2 tbsp melted Butter
1 tbsp Honey
2 tsp mini Chocolate morsels (optional)

Chocolate Layer
8 pitted dry Dates
1/3 cup chocolate (60% Cacao ghirardelli bittersweet chips)
1 tbsp Honey
a handful of raw peanuts

Method
Line a brownie sheet with parchment paper.

Dry roast peanuts on low-medium until it turns crispy & crunchy and let it cool. Use a knife to chop it coarsely and set it aside.

Biscuit Layer
In a food processor, pulse biscuits, dates, honey and butter until everything comes together into one mass. Press this gently on the parchment paper into a thin & even layer (roughly about 4x4 inches). Pop the brownie sheet into freezer and wait until it sets.

Peanut Butter Layer
In a small pan, heat peanut butter on "low" heat until soft & melted. Stir in butter & honey. Switch off the stove, add chocolate morsels and mix well. Pour PB mixture on top of cookie layer and spread out evenly. Pop the brownie sheet into freezer and wait until it sets.

Chocolate Layer
In a food processor pulse dates and honey finely. In a small pan, heat chocolate on "low" heat until it melts completely. Mix in pulsed dates & honey well. Pour chocolate mixture on top of PB layer and spread out evenly. Sprinkle chopped peanuts on top and press gently with the back of a spoon/ladle. Pop the brownie sheet into freezer and wait until it sets.

Once everything sets, cut them into pieces, share & enjoy!


Note:
- Keep the fudge refrigerated at all times.
- You can also replace peanuts / PB with almonds / almond butter.
- For vegan options, you could replace honey with maple syrup and butter with coconut oil.

No comments :

Post a Comment